Surfshark is a newcomer to the VPN market that’s fast making a name for itself with high speeds suitable for streaming, torrenting and gaming. It’s good for doing most of the basic things you’d expect of a VPN, including unblocking Netflix and Hulu, blocking ads and malware, and protecting your personal data. Unsurprisingly for a new VPN provider, it’s still a work in progress. For example, its Windows client is still in the Beta testing phase.
Surfshark is a good option for beginners, with a straightforward setup and installation process backed by 24/7 customer support. To begin, simply download the app to your device or browser and follow the setup prompts. Surfshark’s FAQ page offers setup tutorials for users in need of additional assistance.
Surfshark has VPN clients for Chrome, Firefox, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux, plus a Windows app that’s still stuck in the Beta phase. Note that the Chrome and Firefox clients only work on the Chrome and Firefox browsers, respectively, and don’t offer protection outside of those browsers.
Subscribers may use their Surfshark VPN on an unlimited number of devices, meaning one subscription is enough for the whole family. There are no restrictions across device types either, so you can use the one Surfshark subscription across multiple iOS, Android, and MacOS devices, for example.
|2 years||$1.95/month||Unlimited devices|
|1 year||$5.95/month||Unlimited devices|
|1 month||$11.95/month||Unlimited devices|
Surfshark offers 3 subscription packages: 1 month, 1 year, or 2 years. The 2-year option is one of the cheapest VPN subscriptions on the market, priced at just $1.95/month (or $23.40/year). Conversely, the 1-month plan is one of the most expensive on the market. Each plan includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. Billing options include: credit card, PayPal, Alipay, and cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple).
All 3 packages offer the same features, with price the only point of difference between them. Features include
Surfshark ticks all the boxes when it comes to privacy. It’s based in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no data-retention laws, and therefore it’s able to easily live up to its commitment to not store logs of your browsing history.
Its security features are on a par with the best VPNs in the business. It uses a combination of IKEv2 security protocol and AES-256-GCM encryption, maintaining a high standard of security without compromising on speed. According to Surfshark, its iOS app is designed to retain these security features without draining battery—which is a big advantage over the many VPN providers that struggle to balance the need to provide high security with the need to protect smartphone battery life.
One of the benefits of purchasing a VPN from a new provider is that they tend to go the extra mile to make you happy. In the case of Surfshark, the commitment to customer service is noticeable from the moment you go to their website and see the live chat box open up in the bottom-left corner of your screen. Surfshark’s website has a useful FAQ page and extensive help center, complete with tutorials and setup guides to installing, setting up, and using its VPN clients on different devices. The customer support team are available 24 hours, 7 days a week to respond to queries sent via the ticketing system. Surfshark doesn’t offer phone support, but judging by customer feedback on sites like TrustPilot (where 94% of reviewers have rated it “Excellent” and the remaining 6% have rated it “good”), customer support staff are usually very quick to respond to tickets.
Finally, we feel it’s worth repeating that Surfshark promises a 30-day money-back guarantee if its service doesn’t live up to your expectations.
Surfshark does all the basics well, without focusing too much on one feature at the expense of others. Users can connect to Surfshark’s VPN servers with the confidence that it gives them high speeds, protection, offers multiple layers of security and data encryption, and can help them get around most geo-location restrictions. Surfshark offers the greatest value for money to VPN users who are willing to make a 2-year upfront commitment.
The Surfshark brand belongs to Surfshark Ltd, which was founded in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) in 2017. The BVI is a British overseas territory in the Caribbean with no data-retention laws, making it the perfect home for a VPN provider that’s fully committed to giving its users complete privacy and anonymit